Does Anyone Actually Like Running?

The title might seem a bit strange but the simple fact is I don't like, not even a little. I find it boring. That might seem weird coming from someone who runs at every Malahide Parkrun that I can get to. I now even run midweek in an effort to improve my times.


Cycle 4 DSI 2013
I find it boring because I need to have a purpose for doing whatever it is I choose to do. I love cycling because I will set out either to get somewhere or to explore a new area. I never like going for a cycle just to cycle. I tried doing a lap of the airport a few times and it is fun trying to beat your time but ultimately that isn't what motivates me.

Why do I Parkrun? The simple truth is I enjoy the community. I say hello to the fella who was congratulated one week for having completed 50 runs. I have no idea what his name is and I never see him on the run as he is up with the fast folks. But I know him and he is there almost every week. I do know more people by name from volunteering, Michael, Alice, Ray, Ruth and a good few others. It does lift your heart a little when a person spurs you on from the side-lines by your name.

I also enjoy the fact that last week I kept catching up on a person who would sprint by me and then stop for a rest until ultimately I passed them the last time to finish ahead of them. This week it looked like we were going to have the same game of chasing but it ended with the sprint-stop person winning out and finishing about a minute ahead of me. What I truly love is the fact that they are a girl of about 7 years of age. I will get past you next time!

Another thing I enjoy is that last week I heard someone shout out that they were following me in order to crack 35mins. ME? 35mins? Seriously? Well apparently they were right as I did it in 34:44 unfortunately they were 25 seconds behind me. The thing is I ran that because of a lady named Sarah who was running about the same pace and we matched each other all the way home, spurring each other on when times got tough.

What was brilliant was today the person who was shouting at me last week was right behind me on my heels at the finish this week. It has been some time since I was chased around a park by a girl. In fact the last time was 1973. I remember because it was Linda O'Connor in the Botanic gardens. I remember it so well because I split my head open when I ran into a low hanging branch. Okay I admit the circumstances are just a tad different and I haven't seen the results yet but I am really hoping for their sake we cracked 35 again. (UPDATE: we did!)

This week was not without some challenges. I got a really bad pain in my right knee as I passed the Great Lakes. This was troubling as it is normally my left knee that gives a bit of trouble. I have found that I am not drinking enough water. I have started drinking lots of water in work during the week and I have noticed a considerable improvement in my knee since starting this. So I was a little annoyed by the pain today. More so because I normally get pains in the first kilometre and then they go away but we were nearly half way through. I realised I had slipped into my old style of running which is that slow shuffle jog. Mentally forced myself to pick up my knees and the pain miraculously disappeared.

Where are the Great Lakes? You know on the second lap you go through a short section of forest then a left turn with a quick right turn up through the forest again. Then you come out of the forest into a wide open field with a run of about 100m back to the forest. That's the Great Lakes! Why so? Because there is always a couple of huge puddles even if there is the slightest bit of rain.

Now am I that starved of human interaction that I run 5km, which I hate, just to have a chance 2 minute conversation at the end? Absolutely not. What I enjoy most about running is stopping! Stopping after pushing yourself as hard as you can. Stopping after conquering your demons up around the Great Lakes where your brain was telling you that you had a perfectly legitimate excuse to pack it in. Stopping after pushing yourself bloody hard to catch a 7 year girl! Stopping after pushing yourself really hard because two walkers ahead had started to run again and you absolutely hate sprint-stoppers!! The only person I hate more is Witek who beat me one week when he walked the whole course. That's just wrong.

I love the feeling of complete exhaustion at the end. The feeling you get when you know you pushed yourself to the absolute limit.

Shane "Rambo" Graham
The funny thing is I almost didn't run this week. I am big into the motorbikes and I know a good few lads and lassies who are racing this weekend for the first race of the season in Mondello. I looked at Facebook when still in bed and there was a report from Mondello that it was snowing. I gave serious consideration to turning over in the bed and going back to sleep but then I saw Teena's post.

Teena Gates is a bit of a radio personality and fitness blogger. Teena conquered her own demons by losing a huge amount of weight and is a regular park runner out in Griffeen park. I met Teena when she attended Malahide one week. Anyway Teena injured herself on one of her adventures and has 12 stitches in her knee at the moment. It was her post on Facebook that got me out of bed. She was giving out because she couldn't go running and here was I, fit and able, passing it up. 

I got out of bed. Thanks Teena, hope the knee heals up quick.

Some of you might be wondering why there is no mention of Sammi, my daughter, who normally comes down to the Parkrun. She was doing what any normal young person would be doing on a Saturday morning and sleeping off the excesses of a great Friday night. Next week Sammi, next week.

For now I will look forward to reaching my target of finishing in sub-30 mins and then stopping.................until the next run!


A big shout out to both the organisers and the volunteers without whom there would be no run, no sense of community and no publishing of the fact that I ran 5k in 34 mins and 16 seconds.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tiny little bit awesome

eCigs - a beginners guide

Kit review for Vaping